Bexley Phoenix Choir is from South-East London and was founded in 2007. The majority of members are aged between 25 and 35 years and were once members of Bexley Youth Choir which their Director, John MacKenzie, conducted from 1987 – 2007.
The Choir aims to perform a wide range of different types of music, from early sacred and secular works, through the classical and romantic periods to folk, gospel and popular songs. Whilst in the Youth Choir, members had a wide experience of concert venues, including the Royal Festival Hall, the Barbican Hall, Fairfield and the Queen Elizabeth Hall. They also performed in various cathedrals on UK tours, including Rochester, Norwich, St. Davids, Gloucester, Coventry, Lichfield, Carlisle and Exeter. Some of them performed on Classic FM and Radio Three and worked under the direction of eminent conductors, including Sir David Willcocks and Bob Chilcott.
Our most recent tours
- 2016: Isle of Wight including Quarr Abbey
- 2015: Dumfries including Drumlanrig Castle
- 2014: Cumbria, including Cartmel Priory
- 2013: North Yorkshire, including Ripon Cathedral
- 2012: Somerset, including Wells Cathedral
- 2011: Suffolk, including Ely Cathedral